Wednesday 23 June 2010

My Persian family


My Big Fat Persian Family: Today, i was downstairs while my mom was upstairs. I called for her "MOMON!" and her response... "MARAZ!" without missing a beat.
Today, whenever someone calls my house from Iran, my parents say "Salam azizam, etefaghan hameen emrooz mikhastam behet zang bezanam" even though they clearly were not thinking of doing any such thing.... .
Everytime my mom has a mehmooni, the guests tell her "khasteh naboshi, khaylee zamat kesheedeeh". And she says "nahh kohreey nakardam". once all the guests leave, she begins to complain about how tired she is and how she's been working the past month for this one night.
Whenever I have friends over on the weekend, my parents constantly come in my room and ask in farsi, "when are they leaving?"
today, i was listening to my fav song, and my dad said : " een ahangaayeh tokhmi chiyeh goosh meedee?"
Whenever I turn on too many lights in the house my mom comes and asks,"Aroosie nanate?"
Today my mum left me 3 voicemail messages. The first one; "salam ghorboone oon shekl o ghad o baalaat beram. fadat besham. A few hours later; "salam azizam. kojai? yeh zangi bezan delvapas shodam". And the last message; "asan maloom hast to kojaee?! Pedarsag."
Today, I was sitting and talking to my mom on the couch over some chai and CNN was on in the background. As soon as the word " Iran" was mentioned my mom cut me off mid sentence and shouted, "Oh! Shh!! zeeyadesh kon!"
When i was little my mothers excuse for not letting me go to sleepovers was because i was too young and now that i'm 18 her excuse is "Naahhh kudum kherseh gondeh mireh esleepover, 18 saleteh boro yek dars bekhun yechizi beshi"
Today, I asked my dad why Persians always rhyme words like "sexy mexy." He replied "because ow-ver language is poetery, very beeuteefel."
I love being persian when your madar sits with you and watches tv and everytime the actors on the tv kiss each other, your mother always goes "in filmayeh mozaghraf chera mibini?".
Whenever my parents see someone who looks persian on television, they pronounce the last name to somehow try and make it sound like the person's from iran.

1 comment:

  1. Hi my friend,
    Why my friend because really I like your text, it is so funny.
    But anytime do you think why a thirsty person in summer drinks water more than a the same one in winter?
    Iranians live about 30 years in summer to have water, through these 30 years anything isn`t fair for them, therefore they need to drink more water more than their share, I know unfortunately, one day they will have to give back this extra water and again we will have a new problem, EFRAT -O-TAFRIT

    ReplyDelete